Saturday, November 25, 2017

Here's Johnny!!!

I have always been persistent, I always try, ok maybe I try too hard but failure is not an option...

So what is the best way to get a BIG NAME brand/person/companies attention? No one wants to be harassed, I get that. Sure they don't have to reply unless a lawyer is involved but think about how many different network options  we have now on the Internet besides sending a direct email. Our own President is obsessed with using his personal Twitter account. It truly is mind blowing to think that I could retweet him right now and he might actually read and/or even reply...technology is amazing. Period. I was going to say, "What a time to be alive" but no the point is clearly that TECH IS AMAZE.

I told all my friends (yes all 4 of them) today that I wasn't going to let this Chopsticks story die until I got a reply from Johnny Cupcakes. I never heard anything from O'neill, RVCA and the Gaslight Anthem when I reached out in the past on similar subject matter. This one was different, I was feeling extra confident...1 out of 4 has to happen, right?

First thing first, I sent over a direct message to the Johnny Cupcakes FaceBook page which immediately replied with an automatic response that if there was a problem with my order that I should email customer service ASAP blah blah blah. Next, I tagged Johnny in a couple of my Instagram Stories and commented under his Chopsticks post on the JC IG page. Next was Twitter, I fired off a few tweets that simply said I designed Chopsticks in 2007, what is the story behind your version? I had zero intentions of becoming the annoying pest so I decided to wait until tomorrow and fire again.

Then within the hour came the reply via Twitter direct messaging which is basically a text message, a private one on one with Johnny himself...I replied instantly and we chatted...cool beans!


Was I satisfied? As my crazy friend Marc would say "Absolutely". This is what I wanted to hear, an authentic response from the brand owner himself. I never intended on saying "well I did this first and you copied me" because in all reality my design never left my own sketch pad and my personal computer. I just wanted to hear his back story. It's funny that his Chopsticks design was also unused from over a decade ago and that it was resurfaced as a last minute scramble for Black Friday New shirt release. The irony in all of this...an archived design that finally came to fruition. Johnny pulled the trigger on it and Joey (thats ME) never did. To be totally honest, I never 100% liked my design enough and it was never meant to be a real #CavotuTee.

The moral of the story is...persistence is cool and life is what it is...now I am totally inspired to start bugging the Gaslight Anthem again about using my tagline Stay Vicious as their song title...more to come.

No comments: