Friday, January 29, 2010

The devil's playground



I think it is safe to assume that you guys know that I was born and raised in San Pedro (pronounced PEE-DRO for all you out of towners) but in fact I have moved around Cali here and there. In 06'/07' I lived in the LBC aka Strong Beach aka Long Beach. LB is a HUGE city that maintains a blossoming downtown district while still preserving that small neighborhood beach community feeling. Long Beach is definitely a melting pot (I can't help but think of the Bay when I use that phrase but in context LB is not as cool as SF).

Bars are bars. I have done my fair share of boozing in damn near all of them while living in Long Beach. The watering holes that are tucked away off the main drag are usually pretty cool finds. Alex's Bar is a true gem, like stepping into a mini version of hell: red painted walls, cheap drinks, horrible service but live rock and roll almost every night. This weekend Alex is celebrating his 10 year anniversary with a sick lineup of the Adolescents, Mike Watt and Riverboat Gamblers live on stage.

In these tough economic times it's great to hear that the small businessman is still alive and kicking. But then again, recession or economic boom, people will drink regardless. Cheers and I'll see you in the pit!

No comments: