Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rolling on 2 wheels



Rolled down to the city of Irvine today to take my kids to an amazing little place called Pretend City. A magical wonderland tucked away inside a huge warehouse, a mini city that toddlers can call their own. While I chased little man around the "pretend Ralph's" I came across a fashionably dressed male about age 35 who was wheelchair bound. Now his chair wasn't just one of those generic hospital models, we are talking custom non electrical chair with all black framework and chrome shoes. Safe to assume he had suffered a serious injury at some point in his life but his level of stoke around his wife and 2 kids is what caught my eye more than anything.

I decided to check out the Life Rolls On site after I got home. Jesse Billauer was a fellow classmate of mine while I was in my undergrad at SDSU. Jesse would show up to class in a new chair like once a week, ridiculous chrome and custom paint, I had never seen anything like it. Now don't get me wrong but his story is far more impressive than his wheelchair collection but still you gotta give the guy props for rolling in style. The LFO foundation has grown rather significantly over the years and continues to promote positive vibes for individuals who have spinal cord injury. Check out the Cord Progression show when it hits the city of Long Beach on 2/27/10.




No comments: