Friday, February 19, 2010

Hermosa is beautiful


I have always appreciated the simple black/white designs of the traditional punk rock flyer. I began collecting flyers while I was in high school. I made an effort to always stop by the local South Bay record shops (Go Boy, Off Beat, Scooters) to look for the latest flyers for upcoming shows. Then I usually took my favorites to Kinkos (RIP) to blow them up by 300% and plaster them on the walls of my bedroom.

As I grew older, I began purchasing concert poster artwork off the Internet. I grew fond the artwork by Scott "Speed" Hall and began ordering several prints from his website. I eventually established an email friendship with Speed where we chatted about life and times. I can't help think about Speed when I write about concert posters/flyers. He was a great mentor and if only I could have learned more from him. Rest in peace, I know you are smiling down on me.

So the city of Hermosa Beach is having a Punk Art show tonight Feb 20th. AMI productions and Hermosa Beach Historical Society have put together a 30 year retrospect on the South Bay scene. They will have flyers, album covers, photos and rare merchandise on display. Should be a great event. See you in the pit!

Side note, this flyer below was always one of my favorites. I still have a large laminated copy in my closet. I think this show was in the early 80's but I still dig the design and the fact the show was at the Dancing Waters in San Pedro.


No comments: