Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sour Grapes



I met a guy today with a Milo tattoo on the inside of his left wrist. The caption underneath read: I don't want to grow up. It's hard to imagine that at age 29, I am ink-free, yet still find that I appreciate the bodily application of artwork; it's life and the all the decisions that come along with it. I, too, feel I suffer from that same Peter Pan syndrome- both not wanting to grow up, but knowing that the days of Never Never Land have long since past.

The Milo tattoo references a band called the Descendents, early pioneers of the South Bay punk rock scene of the 1980's. I first heard of them when I was in high school and still have those old dubbed cassette recordings in my closet. The band has since broken-up and their lives have all taken different turns. Guess the moral of the story is that we all inevitably grow older and life is a series of choices- you can choose to fish or you can choose to be a doctor.

RIP Frank Navetta, who passed Halloween 2008.

No comments: