Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day One Point Two

Depending on public transportation on a daily basis seems rather annoying. On the surface I see how it makes sense and how much money you save on gas, insurance, payments etc. The whole process of waiting around and not feeling like you have control when you need to be somewhere just kills me. One of Cam's roommates was born and raised in NY and he had a car for only a month during his entire 30 years of life. Wow. Hard to imagine coming from the Cali car dependent lifestyle.
After a brief nap I headed out west to explore Gotham City aka Manhattan. Walked mad blocks to the bus, rode the bus for 30 min, then transfered to the subway. The New York subway is the real deal. The ultimate people watching experience. You never know who is going to end up in your car, a caleidoscope of characters to say the least. I got off near the Brooklyn Bridge and walked about half way on the pedestrian path. Super rad architecture indeed.

I saw the Statue of Liberty back in 1999 and checked out the Ground Zero in 2004 so I didn't even bother going that direction. I made my way through the Lower East Side and Alphabet City. I stopped by the famous Katz Deli for dinner. The pastrami on rye was good stuff and I was starving. I mapped out a few points of interest for the next couple days. Then I made my way over to Times Square to end the night with some bright lights and a million people.

No comments: