Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day Two

I rarely get the opportunity to sleep in past 6 or 7 in the morning so I must say it was rather nice to sleep in for a change. Besides the 94 degree weather wasn't a very motivating factor for being outside. I eventually hit the subway and charged the city. I usually stay clear of coffee and that place called Star-blah but I couldn't resist grabbing a quick drink while I was on the go. Manhattanites and tourists always lined up out the door, safe to say America loves their coffee.

The scorching heat/humidity made my first destination an easy one: explore the world famous MET. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is HUGE. I wandered around for days enjoying the air conditioning, minimal crowds and amazing artworks. Here are some that caught my eye or shall I say my lens.
I have always been a sucker for The Wheat Field and Cypresses painting. In 1889, Van Gogh painted three different versions of the view outside his window while he was staying at a mental asylum in France. I have seen one version in the National Gallery of London and now the second version at the MET. The third is in a private collection or if you want to pretend the movie was real then Tom Cruise has the third in his house.
This one reminded me of the Feint shirt that was released in Spring 2007. I said it before and I'll most likely say it again- In Fist Fights We Trust. Hey hey hey, its Johnny.
I spent part of the afternoon wandering around New York's backyard as they call it. Central Park truly feels endless at times. Super mellow and a great place to get lost over and over.
I decided to head over to Brooklyn and check out the famous Coney Island. Huge boardwalk that goes for miles along the beach but unfortunately the Atlantic ocean looked more like a lake, no waves in site. Figured I might as well try one of those overpriced hot dogs and walked around the ghetto carnival.
My lovely wife had only one request while I was on this NYC adventure: go see a broadway play. I am not much of a musical or opera guy but I saw Wicked when it came to LA and thought it was great. A friend of mine recommended Jersey Boys so I thought I would check it out. Great performance by all the actors and musicians. Good times.
I ended my night back in Times Square wandering the streets, eating ice cream and getting lost in the crowd. I met a branding research guy, Ash Rashvand who asked me to participate in his current study. My emphasis in college was advertising so this topic was definitely easy to chat about. Check out the video, I think I was rambling a bit much but he loved the flowing opinions.

No comments: