Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day Three

The plan of action for day three was spend time exploring the streets, shops and cafes of NOHO, SOHO, Greenwich Village and the Chelsea district. I started off with two awesome cupcakes and a glass of milk for breakfast at the Magnolia Bakery on Bleecker St. I heard they just opened a shop here in Los Angeles. Yum yum.
I noticed a Vans ad that appeared to be wheat-pasted but as I got closer I realized it was hand painted on the wall. The artist was working on a similar ad around the corner. I was tempted to pick his brain about the process but chose not to bug him while he was working. I sat on a nearby bench and watched the picture come alive. This is the part of advertising that I appreciate the most. Plus the clever branding angle of putting the ad 'on the wall' when the famous Vans mantra is- Off the Wall.It wouldn't be New York without a trip to Supreme, super fresh and always ahead of the game. Blades was right around the corner, another clean shop with the latest street wear, shoes, boards and more. Blades had a large section of FSAS which has blown up ridiculous over the last few years. I still have the original Famous logo tee back when they didn't change the Hanes Beefy Tee tag.
I appreciate random skate boutiques and I went on a mission to find Dave's Quality Meat. I have been following this skate brand on the internet for a few seasons now so it was nice to actually experience the brick and mortar. I bought a DQM shirt as well.
The Apple store is open 24 hrs a day. I made a few stops in there to charge my phone and play on the new iPads. Reading books is far on my list of weekly accomplishments but the iPad is still a very clever gadget.
My friend, Anthony sent me an early birthday gift via email and I found myself jamming across town to watch the New York Mets play the Atlanta Braves. Citi Field officially opened in 2009, known as a pitcher's park and is the only major league baseball stadium that has orange foul poles instead of the standard yellow. The park has a giant red apple that rises up from the center of the outfield when a Mets player hits a home run. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the apple rise and the Braves took the W. Thanks again for seat doggy.

No comments: