Tuesday, October 8, 2013

It's nice to have nice things George

#Cavotuesday

I believe all parents spoil their children in one form or another. I have a hard time saying "no" to the people that I love the most (my kids...and yes their mother too despite it all she still holds this special place in my heart, I know I know) but I tell myself "no" all the time without any hesitation. I would never say I am a selfish person especially when I rarely do ME.

I found myself riding shotgun earlier in the homey's 5 series BMW, I couldn't help but touch the shiny wood grain dash that wrapped around the navigation screen. No this it not the first time I have been inside an expensive vehicle but once removed you tend to forget about the little details that make the car  visually appealing. I had a brief flashback of my previous BMWs when my life was "different" and I had only one mouth to feed aka ME.

I was instantly reminded of one of my favorite quotes from the movie Blow. It was the scene when George (Johnny Depp) is showing his expensive car collection to his father. All of the cars obviously were purchased with drug money yet the son just wanted his dad to be proud of his wealth/success. "It's nice to have nice things George" said the father. Simple and to the point. Nice things help to certain degree, they help define/mask reality depending on how you see things.

In the past several years I went from having a lot to having virtually nothing. I have come to appreciate material things on a new level. They really are just things, just stuff, often times totally unnecessary. But when you throw the word feelings in the mix well sometimes material things act as a buffer to over ride those feelings and help get one through another miserable hour/day/night.

My takeaway, spoil your offspring, spoil your loved ones, and don't forget to spoil yourself. They say we only get one shot at this thing called life so make it the best!

No comments: