Saturday, October 19, 2013

The calm before the storm

In my youth I skated. My dad bought me my first board for my 8th birthday. It was pretty cool, I can still remember the graphic and matching fluorescent pink wheels, neons were huge in 1988.
I was pretty scared of falling so it took me quite awhile to finally learn how to ride it. In high school, I skated from point A to point B with my crew. I never bothered learning tricks or taking my skills beyond the basic riding skills. In college I skated to campus every morning, it was about a 10 minute drive by car so kind of a hike on my board. But it was worth it because parking on campus was super expensive. Now as an adult/parent my fear of breaking my arm or cracking my skull is definitely increased. About once a month I venture down to Hermosa Beach and ride my skate on the strand. It's cathartic in a way, the sun, the sand, the ocean breeze, bikini clad females...yeah I should skate more often.

So I wandered down to the local skatepark on Friday. Channel Street has a great story behind it and although I have never actually skated the park, I totally admire and appreciate everything that those founding fathers did to lay that concrete and build the gold mine.

So I climbed up to the top of the main bowl. I sat and watched the locals shred for about an hour. It was peaceful in a strange way, didn't motivate me at all to drop in with them but rad to watch the action....

Changes are happening. I feel good about what's to come...11/12/13 is still on my goal sheet.

I have been slacking on the "be an asshole" category but what can I say, it doesn't come natural for me like some people I know.

Kill kill kill


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: